Thursday 13 September 2018

WEEKEND RUNAROUND



C2 5K starting Wednesday 26th Sept. @ 6.30 in Midleton Community Centre. Info 0872403940 or mdtacinfo@gmail.com Male and Female coaches. The coaches have years of experience and have shown thousands the joys of running.

PLEASE PASS THE WORD AROUND



Mini Marathon

Results show Sheila Buckley 1st O/35 and Joan Hough 1st O/60.


The Tesco Crew with Claire Parker and Karen Knowles















Some great running once again today from our ladies.


 

KIPCHOGE'S 2:01:39 MOVES MARATHON WORLD RECORD CLOSER TO TWO-HOUR BARRIER
Not since the days of the first sub-four-minute mile has one barrier attracted so much focus in the world of athletics, but talk of the first sub-two-hour marathon has reignited after Eliud Kipchoge’s 2:01:39 run at the Berlin Marathon on Sunday (16).
The 33-year-old Kenyan ran alone for the final 17 kilometres of the race in the German capital but his pace increased as the race went on. After covering the first half in 1:01:06, Kipchoge ran 1:00:33 for the final 13.1 miles to take one minute and 18 seconds off the marathon world record set by Dennis Kimetto in 2014.
It was the single biggest improvement on a men’s marathon world record for 51 years. An improvement of just 100 seconds more is now needed for the first sub-two-hour marathon
 
Starting 26th Sept See Below for details





C2 5K starting Wednesday 26th Sept. @ 6.30 in Midleton Community Centre Info 0872403940 or mdtacinfo@gmail.com Male and Female coaches. Best value around


Garryvoe 4 Mile

A fine crowd turned up in Garryvoe on Thursday evening which included a large group from the club. We saw some very fine running and it was great to see David Moynihan back running as it was great also to see Fergal O'Meara back in action. There was an extra good run from Tim Hannon who finished 4th overall unfortunately there were no Cat. prizes. Our first lady home was Eileen Leahy.


I think Ger's dog wants to run the race.














They had to try and  slow Tim down as he was going so fast.













Frankfurt Recalled by Sally Drennan


It was in Frankfurt that I developed my love of running. Quite early on in the time that I lived there,  Barrie and I noticed a small ad in a local newspaper for a running group which met on Sunday mornings at 9.00 am.  This sounded like a bit early of an early start for me at the time!  I had been trying to start running a little bit, but I needed the incentive of a group.  So, in spite of the 'early' start, I decided to give it a go one Sunday and I'd report back to Barrie if it was worth going to!
 




I still remember the welcome I got from that small group of enthusiastic runners that Sunday morning.  There were about four different groups, of varying standards, which each ran for an hour on the lovely soft tracks of one of the many forests on the outskirts of Frankfurt.
 

 

The following week Barrie and I both ran with the group.  That marked the start for us of some great years of running in Frankfurt.  The unofficial group soon became BELC 89 (Bergen Enkeimer Lauf Club) of which Barrie and I were proud to be among the founding members.  We made many good friends in the club, which is a club with a similar ethos to Midleton AC – friendly, welcoming and valuing the importance of socializing as well as running! Barrie and I are still in contact with some of those original BELC members.

 

 

Almost 20 years after I first started running with BELC, now living in Carrigtwohill and running with Midleton AC, the idea was suggested of a Midleton AC trip to Frankfurt.  When I made contact with some of my BELC friends they were as enthusiastic as I expected and put a lot of work into helping to find a suitable race, accommodation, transport etc.

 

 

It was a memorable weekend with time for sightseeing, shopping and enjoying the nightlife of Frankfurt. On the Sunday we all got a bus to the race venue a short distance outside Frankfurt, where there was a choice of races.  As far as I can remember there was a 10 km, a half marathon and a fun 5km, all of them run on traffic free forest tracks.  I have many happy memories of that weekend, which Danny recently reminded me is 10 years ago this year!
 

 
 
We won so many prizes we needed a trailer to take them home. Hopefully our crew going there this year will do the same. Danny