Sunday 1 August 2021

TRAINING

We will have training as usual on Monday even though its a Bank Holiday. So 6pm or before at the Cricket Field. Now that races are beginning to come back its time to start training again.

Training as usual on Wednesday at 7pm at the Co Op Stores.

Everyone is welcome to these sessions no matter how fast or slow you are you will be catered for so come on out you will enjoy it.


Mike Dorney is a HARDMAN

Mike reports on his HARDMAN BANTY 



So I finally got onto a runway for the first time in over two years but alas there were no planes to take me somewhere tropical. Instead it was the start, finish & transition area for the Bantry Hardman middle distance triathlon.  With my bike racked and transitions laid out, it was off to the water just after 9. We were reliably informed by wave 1 competitors coming out of the swim that the Jellyfish were only bad for the first leg. They weren't joking. It's never pleasant swimming through them and they got the best of some of us. I was happy to be running back up the beach with the first 1.9km done in my only repectable time of the day coming out of the water in just over 40 minutes.

 

After winning the usual wrestle with my wetsuit and loading up my picnic for the day, it's out on the bike course - drink every 15 & eat every 30 minutes. The hills start immediately. They never ended. 90km across the Mizen & Sheep's Head peninsulas with about 900m of climbing. The views are spectacular in a multitude of places. After just over 4 hours with 5km split pace ranging from 12kmph to 36kmph I'm back on the airfield.

 

Quick change of shoes, and it's run time. Run time is fun time!!! Not today. Another 425m of climbing around the Sheep's Head peninsula and I'm reduced to a walk/run strategy. I'm not sure my quads will ever forgive me. After a gruelling 3+ hours to cover 21km, I've kept enough to jog down the last hill and along the airfield to complete my first middle distance triathlon in just over 8 hours. Loads of experience & learnings in the memory bank to improve from here but I'm only racing on pancake courses from now on. Might give Monday night training a skip this week....





 Donie Walsh

A very nice article on Donie was in the Echo You can read it here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40347599.html%3ftype=amp


Brendan Boyce at the Olympics

Midleton resident Brendan Boyce is going in the 50Km Walk in the Olympics. Club Captain Declan Dorgan arranged some signs to show our clubs support for our fellow Athletics Ireland athlete.