Wednesday 19 April 2023

Stewards Needed For Our Own Race Please 

 Hi ,I am looking for  stewards for our race  on  Mat 4th so if anyone isn’t racing and is able to help out for an hour or so it would be greatly appreciated (I am also looking for 1 person to cycle around with Jerry Forde),family,friends ,all help greatly appreciated,drop me a text on 086-3850980,thanks Mick Murphy.


Boston Marathon Report From Derek


Boston Marathon has been on my 'bucket list' for a long time and the opportunity came for this year's race through qualifying at Manchester in Oct 2021.  

Training didn't exactly go to plan as I was ill for a lot of March so just getting to the start line was then a priority.  It was always my intention to go and enjoy it but the illness put a bit of doubt over that.  Luckily enough I recovered in time to make the start line and am I grateful.  I can honestly say it was the best running experience I have ever had.  Even the rain couldn't dampen the spirits of runners and spectators. The organising and logistics of getting 30,000 people from centre of Boston out to the start line at Hopkinton was incredible.  As it is a point to point course, we ran through different residential suburbs of Boston and got closer and closer to the high rise of Boston City centre and the epic finish line at Boyleston Street.  The course is nett downhill with a lot of aggressive downhill and 4 tough uphills between 16 and 21 miles finishing with the famous Heartbreak Hill.  I got lots of shout outs for Ireland and Midleton along the course and must have high fived 1000 kids.  The last mile was spine tingling and the noise was deafening and will live long in the memory.  If any one gets the opportunity to do Boston Marathon I would recommend it in a heartbeat.