Sunday 30 January 2022

WEEKEND RUNAROUND



Registration for 2022 is now due. You are not insured to train with the club unless you are registered.  www.midletonac.com 

Two National  Silver Medals at National Indoors

Well done to new member Chris Nei who won Silver in the 0/50 Shot Putt in Athlone today.

John Hennessy 2nd in National 1500m Indoor in Athlone

John Hennessy came 2nd in a very fast 1500m on the indoor track in Athlone Sunday morning .

National Masters Indoor Race Report by John Hennessy

The national masters indoors championships took place at the TUS Sports Arena in Athlone today. It was my first time running in this great stadium which has a fast, responsive track. The race consisted of M45 and M50 age categories with 12 athletes toeing the line. 

Having done my homework I knew it was going to be a tough race. The favourite based on ability and form was Shane O'Neill (Rathfarnham) who beat me by over 2 minutes in the Autumn International XC recently. There were a few other strong M50 runners in the field including Donal Iremonger (Donore Harriers) who finished a close 3rd behind me in the Outdoor National Championships over 1500m last September. 

I was a bit slow out of the traps, but worked my way up the field and by mid race I was sitting nicely in 4th place overall (2nd M50). A leading group of 5 started to form consisting of three M50 and two M45 athletes. Tactically, with about 3 laps to go,  I knew I needed to move closer to the lead athlete, but the pace was fast and I was already pushing to my limit. The front two, Shane O'Neill M50 and Paul Horan M45 were applying the pressure up front and pulled away inside two laps to go.  I was still in 4th overall at the bell but 3 seconds behind the leading two. I knew at this stage that the gold was out of sight but I put in a strong last lap to finish in 3rd overall and 2nd M50. I finished 3 seconds behind race winner Shane O'Neill with Donal Iremonger finishing 3rd M50.

I was delighted with my performance, running a PB of 4:24 which is a great start to the season.





 Youghal Park Run

We had several runners here on Saturday morning.

Henry Milward 3rd 18.47, Fionan O'hAodain 24.46, Claire O'Connor 26.54,Una Murphy 29.06. Apologies if I missed anyone but its hard to find people when no clubs are listed.